Thursday, June 9, 2011

My middle name isn't 'adventure'... it's Lynn

I am not an experienced traveler, and I don’t consider myself adventurous.  Until now, my experience with different countries has been limited to Canada and Mexico – and at the time I didn’t need a passport to get into either country!  I am excited and nervous about going abroad.  Although I haven’t left the United States yet, I am already proud of myself.  A trip of this capacity and duration is new for me – and a big deal.  Family and friends are surprised when they hear I am going abroad.  Many still remember me as the shy little girl who wouldn’t leave her mother’s side, even to spend the night at a neighbor’s house across the street.
This summer I will travel to London, England, to study abroad for graduate school.  I recently completed my first semester at Maryville University, where I am pursuing a master's degree in Strategic Communication and Leadership.  I will be in London from June 18 through 30.  During my time there, I will go on several excursions for class, including trips to BBC, the British Museum, and Stonehenge and Bath.  (Myself and fellow student traveler, Jennifer, hope to visit Paris, France and Edinburgh, Scotland as well.)  I am taking two classes abroad (for a total of six credit hours): "British Culture and Social Media" and "The Transplanted Executive."  I will conduct interviews for both of these classes, which I miss terribly from my days as a daily newspaper reporter.  Jennifer and I will fly out of London June 30 and head to Athens, Greece.  We will stay in Greece until July 4.
Thus far in my life, I have few regrets... except one, which I didn't realize until much later... to study abroad.  I earned a bachelor's degree in journalism from Webster University, a private institution with numerous international campuses.  During undergraduate school, I had no interest in studying abroad.  My goal was to be editor-in-chief of the student newspaper, The Journal, by my senior year.  I told myself that I would do whatever it took to get there.  If I had studied abroad I might have missed this opportunity, so I passed.  However, I am a firm believer of fate and the notion that everything happens for a reason.  Some eight years later, I am about to study abroad...

No comments:

Post a Comment