Friday, June 24, 2011

Harrods: The envy of stores everywhere

Former President Ronald Reagan went to Harrods and asked if he could buy an elephant. The Harrods employee didn't blink an eye. "Would that be African or Indian, sir?"

I went into Harrods determined to inquire about a pet chicken, zebra or some other random wildlife for purchase. I really wanted a pet chicken, but forgot all about my request when I stepped inside.

Harrods is nothing short of AMAZING. It is huge, consisting of SEVEN floors - each with more and more surprises. Our small group quickly disbanded as we walked further into Harrods. Jennifer and I split from the group so we could take our time taking everything in. We spent hours in Harrods, and I know we still didn't see everything.

Little did we know we entered on the Ground Floor, which consisted of beauty, fashion accessories, food halls, an arcade, menswear, jewelry and watches.  Now, I didn't see all of this on the Ground Floor, but according to Harrods' map it's all there. I gawked at the gorgeous, yet overwhelmingly overpriced handbags. Someday, I thought to myself, someday...

Jennifer and I knew there were more floors to explore, so we set off for the First Floor, which housed women's clothing and shoes. Oh, the shoes! It was eye-opening. I walked slowly past each shelf, closely examining the color, design and detail of each shoe. Neither of us tried on any shoes - partly because we knew in the back of our minds that we'd fall in love with them and end up buying a pair that cost more than a week's pay - and also because we couldn't figure out the shoe sizes. Even more excited, we headed for the Second Floor.

The Second Floor held home decoration, bed and bath, kitchenware, tableware, travel goods, garden living, a bureau de change, gift registry and the Harrods Gift Shop. We spent forever in the gift shop. After all of my looking, I ended up buying only a few small items. (I'd tell you what they are, but I want them to be somewhat of a surprise to some who may be reading this blog.)

We cruised by the Third Floor, which contained furniture, home entertainment, books, lighting, pianos and musical instruments, antiques and bed studio. It was well after lunch time, so we hopped on the Egyptian escalator and headed to the Fourth Floor. (Each floor up to this point had included places to eat, we just hadn't found one we liked just yet.)

Floor number four had our answer. We walked through the Toy Kingdom, posed with a Lego statue along the way, and headed for The Diner. We split an appetizer meal and an order of cheesy fries. (I LOVE that they have fries ("chips") just about everywhere in London.) After, we headed past even more shoes, maternity and children's clothing to the Pet Kingdom and The Pet Spa. I heard a Harrods employee ask a teenage customer and her mom if they were waiting for someone. I was having a hard time listening in because of their British accents, and I thought I heard the teenage girl say they were waiting for her dad, who was having a bath. I found this odd, and wondered why her dad would be taking a bath in the middle of a department store. Then it hit me.

I turned to my right and there was the puppy pampering room. Sure enough, big and small dogs were there getting five-star treatment. I shook my head - at myself. The girl had said, dog, not dad. I decided I needed to brush up on my eavesdropping skills.

We had been at Harrods for hours at this point, so we decided to skip the Fifthy Floor (sportswear and equipment, hair and beauty, and The Penthouse). We rode the elevator ("lift") down to the Lower Ground Floor, which we had apparently skipped when we went in. Looking at Harrods store guide just now, I see that we missed a large portion of this floor, too. Oh, well. We at least made it to The Wine Shop and had a few samples. :)

Hours later we left Harrods with just two small bags from the Harrods Gift Shop... I had forgotten about my pet chicken after all.
Quite a busy place.
I almost caved and bought this one... but managed to talk myself out of yet another mug.

Harrods (Yes, it IS that big)
He's probably cross-eyed after too much time in the Toy Kingdom.
You can buy puppies at Harrods (and hamsters, too).
Too bad I don't drink coffee...

No comments:

Post a Comment