Friday, June 24, 2011

Buckingham Palace

I stood outside Buckingham Palace Wednesday morning, eager to witness the infamous changing of the guard. The guards walked out, formed a half circle, pulled out musical instruments and started to play a familiar tune. It wasn't long before I found myself humming along.

Her name was Lola. She was a showgirl.

The guards were playing Barry Manilow's "Copacabana." I didn't see that one coming, but I was thrilled! They went on to perform several other familiar favorites, which they were very good at. I hadn't expected a free concert, but I loved every minute of it.

A small group of us went to see the changing of the guard. We hopped on the Tube and arrived at Buckingham Palace a little before 11 a.m. The actual changing of the guard takes place daily at 11:30 a.m., so we had time to spare - which meant time to scout out a good place to stand and wait. We managed to spread ourselves out along the gate, behind three to four rows of people in front of us. I decided to take advantage of my height and occasional pushiness, and managed to move myself up a little closer to the gate so I could get a better view.

There were people everywhere. It really was something to see, and it seemed like everyone was there to see it. The guards were chanting as they marched, but it was hard to hear them over everyone else. But it didn't matter. I was in awe - and jealous of their fuzzy black hats (called "Bearskins"). They looked warm, and I was feeling pretty cold at the time. Plus, I think I could pull one off. :)

I ended up with great pictures - minus the ones where people's heads, hands and other limbs obstructed the camera lens - and great memories. I had crossed changing of the guard off my London bucket list.

Attention!
And they're off!

Much to my surprise, they pulled out musical instruments and began to play.

Me and Jennifer outside Buckingham Palace


Just outside the palace gate

The flag was flying... which meant the queen was home!

No comments:

Post a Comment