Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Stonehenge

Not realizing that I would be trapped on a bus for more than two hours, I didn't think to bring my iPod. (Mine isn't the generation glued to their iPods, apparently, because I forget mine more than I remember it.)

It was early on a Saturday morning, June 25. Our group of about 40 people piled onto a bus and headed for Stonehenge. As soon as the bus drove away from the dorms where we were staying, the bus grew silent. I looked around... sure enough... everyone had ear buds in. God bless, iPods...

I take great pride in the fact that I can sleep anywhere, anytime. Seriously. Try me. I can sleep on command. I used to sleep through entire movies at the theater. When traveling, I usually fall asleep before the plane is off the runway - no joke. Anyways, that's what I decided to do on this bus ride... sleep. When I woke up, I looked out the window and realized we were in the middle of nowhere. There were green fields and sheep, lots of sheep. It was beautiful countryside, very peaceful. I'm not sure where we were exactly, but the bus ride from that point on was quite a bumpy ride.

We arrived at Stonehenge and were handed our tickets. We were each given an audio guide (press 9 for English), which proved to be quite interesting and helpful as we walked around the massive structure that is Stonehenge. I made great use of my audio guide - until it froze. Oh, well. From that point on, I walked around Stonehenge and pooled from my own knowledge to give myself a tour of Stonehenge. This wasn't very successful.

After we had circled Stonehenge, we heard voices and bells. I wasn't sure what was happening and to this day I'm still not sure. A stream of people came out dressed in costume, chanting and occassionally ringing a bell. Not sure what to do, we just stood off to the side and watched. It was pretty interesting.

After a quick stop in the gift shop (of course there's a gift shop!), we headed back to the bus. Not paying attention and obviously not thinking, I went to the wrong side of the bus to get on. To be fair, it would have been the right side of the bus back home in the States. A few minutes later, we were off to Bath...


Stonehenge

Ironically, I didn't see this sign until we were leaving... LOL.

I do not know what ceremony this was...

It was supposed to look like I had Stonehenge in the palm of my hand... but the wind kept blowing my arm down!


No comments:

Post a Comment