Tuesday, July 5, 2011

BBC

For my British Culture and Social Media class, I got to visit BBC... twice!!


During the first visit, we interviewed two members of BBC's World Service department about social media. It was really interesting to learn that the British are such big fans of Twitter! (I have not yet given into tweeting.) I commented that I rarely saw the British using smart phones, and wondered if they were as addicted to their smart phones as Americans are? The answer from BBC: YES! Apparently, the Brits find it rude to be fiddling on your phone in public. Hmmm... perhaps Americans could learn a thing or two?


The second visit to BBC was at Television Centre. We took a tour of the studio and heard stories of the crazy demands celebrities have when they come to BBC to be interviewed. (Example: Madonna wanted a portrait of the Pope in her dressing room and Mariah Carey wanted a box of puppies to play with.)


Both of these visits REALLY made me miss my days as a reporter... a LOT. The conclusion I came to was that British reporters must get paid more. Period. Otherwise, how are they living the life of a reporter and still making ends meet? Ask American reporters; it's not an easy thing to do.
BBC Visit #1

BBC Visit #1 (They don't allow pictures of the BBC compound... we had to be sneaky.)
BBC Visit #2 (I snuck a picture when the guard wasn't looking.)
BBC Visit #2
BBC Visit #2
BBC Visit #2

BBC Visit #1 (Jennifer and me)
BBC Visit #1

BBC Visit #2 (Television Centre)
BBC Visit #2
BBC Visit #2 (Glimpse of celebrity dressing room)
BBC Visit #2 (Game show)
BBC Visit #2


No comments:

Post a Comment